Now that my kids are older, they've been regularly requesting for dessert after dinner *gasp*.
I've had to put on my thinking cap to come up with some simple desserts that the whole family can enjoy. This is one of the easy desserts that i make regularly.
Caramelised Bananas with Gula Melaka on Hot Waffles
This fusion, western-local recipe marries the sweetness of pisang emas with gula melaka on toasty hot waffle for an all round family friendly dessert. For extra indulgence, top it with a scoop of vanilla icecream.
- 2 medium size ripened pisang emas
- 2 pieces of store bought waffle, lightly toasted
- A knob of butter
- 1/2 tbspn brown sugar
- 3 Tbspn of chopped gula melaka
- 1 Tbspn of chopped nuts (walnut / pecan / roasted peanuts
- Cut the banana into chunks. Melt the butter in a pan and add the brown sugar. Once the sugar starts to caramelize, add the bananas and swirl quickly to just soften and coat them with the mixture. Set aside.
- Melt the gula melaka in a small saucepan and let it cool. I usually make extra to keep for other uses as well.
- Top the waffle with the bananas, sprinkle the chopped nuts and drizzle the gula melaka on top. Serve immediately.