Pages

Thursday 12 November 2015

Moist Banana Chocolate Muffin



Pin It




You must be thinking, not another muffin recipe? Yea, that thought crossed my mind too.  But then I'm always on the quest to find that fail-proof muffin recipe that tastes good (especially to my kids), keeps well overnight without drying out, AND does not send me rocketing to the gym!


Well, I'm happy to announce that this recipe meets all the above criteria - with flying colours :))  I had to tweak the original recipe a fair bit but yes, we've finally got a keeper in this one. 

I've baked countless muffins before, using different recipes and taste combination, but this is the ONLY one that got a unanimous thumbs up from everyone, and which my 2 year old simply couldn't keep her hands off.  She would haul herself up the high breakfast bar chair to the kitchen counter and be quietly chomping away on the muffin.  When I finally realised where she was, she would give me a big grin, with the corners of her mouth all smeared with muffin crumbs.  


Moist Banana Chocolate Muffin
Makes 12 large muffins
Adapted from brooklynfarmgirl.com



A
1.5 cups plain flour, sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tbspn unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Van Houten)

B
4-5 medium size fully ripened bananas (I like to use pisang emas), roughly mashed
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 tbspn plain yogurt
4 tsp melted butter
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (I use my own homemade extract)


Method

1. Preheat oven at 180celcius
2. Lightly greased a non stick muffin pan with some melted butter
3. Mix A together in a large bowl with a whisk.
4. Mix B together in a separate bowl and pour into A.  Fold in the mixture but don't overmix.  The mixture should be fully incorporated, heavy and wet, with some specks of white flour here and there.
5. Spoon into the muffin and bake for 15-18 minutes until the top is dry but soft, and the cake tester comes out clean.

As with most cakes and pastries, this is best served warm, say 20-30minutes out of the oven.  My son and I had these over a cuppa for breakfast, and it was indeed one of the best simple breakfast we've had.


Spoon no more than 3 quarters full

Moist, slightly sticky yet still fluffy but not crumbly.  That's the texture I like, and one which you get with using yogurt as the main wet ingredient instead of butter or oil. The measly 4 teaspoon of butter holds it all together and gives it added aroma.

My favourite cake container - a bargain I got during the Hari Raya sale recently


Enjoy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments here. If you are not a blogger, just select profile and choose "Name/URL", fill in your name and leave the URL blank. Thanks and hope you enjoy the postings here, or better still, get to try some new recipes from here. Cheers!