Pages

Tuesday 28 July 2015

Easy Pumpkin Kaya

Pin It





After first seeing Mich's post on Homemade Pumpkin Kaya 2 years ago, I finally got round to making it last week. 


It turned out well, and I'm surprised it was so easy to make.  This is a great alternative to commercial kaya (no artificial preservatives/coloring), and certainly healthier - especially for older adults since it is eggless and using pumpkin as the main ingredient.  The other three ingredients are santan, gula Melaka and pandan leaves.




The thing is, I know many will be tempted to cut down on the sugar/gula melaka when they make this; but may I suggest you don't.  The fragrance and sweetness of the gula Melaka (as well as the pandan leaves) go a long way to mask the "pumpkin-ny" taste, so don't reduce the proportion of gula Melaka unless there is a health issue of diabetes.  Be generous with the gula Melaka and pandan leaves, and you might just get the kids/hubby/elderly parents to enjoy this healthier option.  Besides, what's a nice kaya unless it is sweet enough!


Homemade Pumpkin Kaya
Adapted from  A Piece of Cake, Table for 2 or more
Makes about 2 cups


Ingredients
  • 600g pumpkin flesh
  • 220g gula Melaka
  • 200ml coconut milk
  • 6-7 pandan leaves, rinsed and tied into knots
Method
  1. Steam or microwave the pumpkin until cooked and soft.
  2. Roughly chop up the gula Melaka.
  3. Blend the pumpkin and coconut milk into a puree, do not add any water.
  4. Place the pureed pumpkin, gula Melaka and pandan leaves into the slow cooker and cook on High for 1 hour and Low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
  5. Let it cool, pour into clean jars and keep in fridge for up to 5 weeks.

One good tip I learned from Wendy's post is that the longer you cook the kaya, the longer it will keep well in the fridge.  Good kaya that  keeps well need to be slow cooked for a sufficiently long period of time so that the sugars and coconut milk are cooked to a stabilised condition that will keep well.

So those super-quick recipes you see on the internet about 20minute kaya cooked on the pan will probably keep for about 3-5 days only.

        









5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther,
      How are you? Always love to read your post.
      I love this healthy and yummy pumpkin kaya too.
      Yours look so smooth and tempting. I might scoop a spoonful and spread on a cracker to enjoy it!
      I have nominated your blog for the Versatile Blogger award. Please refer to my post at http://my123favourites.blogspot.com/2015/07/stone-fruit-lemon-yogurt-cake.html
      mui

      Delete
    2. Hi Doreen, yes I'm glad my family accepts this pumpkin kaya - I will be making this more often now. Thanks so much for the Versatile Blogger award :)) So kind of you. I shall try to pass it on when I have more blogging time! Cheers

      Delete
  2. HI Esther,
    two things stood out when I bookmarked this recipe: 1)
    this is an eggless Kaya and 2) I have the exact Morgan Crockpot!!
    My Kaya is still cooking on Low for another hour or so but I can
    already tell by licking my spoon that its going to be yummy!!
    I am making this Kaya esp now because my son and daughter-in-law
    (who's a vegetarian) are visiting from NZ soon for Divali.
    She has tasted a tiny bit of the Eggy Kaya and loved it, so I know
    shes going to enjoy this more.
    Thankyou so much for sharing and its so easy in the Crockpot!
    God Bless and have a great weekend
    Regards Mrs Singh Ipoh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs Singh, thankyou for dropping by and leaving such a sweet note. I hope your son and DIL enjoyed this kaya. Yea, that small Morgan crockpot is so handy isn't it!

      Delete

Feel free to leave your comments here. If you are not a blogger, just select profile and choose "Name/URL", fill in your name and leave the URL blank. Thanks and hope you enjoy the postings here, or better still, get to try some new recipes from here. Cheers!