This recipe has been on my to-do list for ages, and I'm so glad I finally came round to making it just in time for CNY this year.
Any salt and pepper dish is a crowd favourite. This homemade S&P seasoning guarantees that you can always make your own, quick and easy S&P dish in a jiffy.
It is very easy and simple, and you can make a substantial batch to keep. It is also a great dry rub for meats, or just add to any soy sauce based, braised meat dish for that extra depth of taste. My favourite way - sprinkle it liberally on pan fried chicken wings for a super tasty, Salt and Pepper Wings. This is definitely one recipe that ranks high up there on my "truly fuss-free recipes".
Homemade Salt and Pepper seasoning
- 2 heaped tblsp Szechuan peppercorn
- 7 tblspn fine rock salt
- 3 heap tsp 5 spice powder
- Ground the peppercorn into a fine texture using a dry mill.
- Add in the salt and toast in a non-stick pan until smoky and fragrant. Use medium low fire so as not to burn the mixture.
- Stir in 5 spice powder and let it cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
|Whole Szechuan peppercorn|
Pan Fried Salt and Pepper Wings
- 500g chicken wings; separate into drummets and wingettes
- 2 tsp of homemade salt and pepper seasoning
- Heat some oil and pan fry the wings until golden brown and sizzling.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper liberally over the wings and toss well to ensure the meat is evenly coated with the seasoning. Serve immediately.
|These delicious S&P wings are great as a main |
dish or party fingerfood
Did you say "That's it?!" Yes, it is. It's that easy. No need to marinade, no need for any additional seasonings. Told you this one ranks high up there on my Top 10 Fuss-Free recipes :)