If you like dining at Japanese restaurants, you would have come across this popular side dish using normal potatoes. My blogger friend, Nami of Just One Cookbook had posted about this quite some time ago in her blog, and i kept a note about it at the back of my mind. A few months back, I happened to have some leftover sweet potato in the fridge, and I remembered about this recipe. So that's how this variation came about.
Whilst the normal potatoes version will give you the familiar potatoey creaminess, I love the sweetness that came from the sweet potatoes. This is a lovely, accidental combination that I have made again and again, and it always goes down well with our main dishes.
Mash Sweet Potato and Egg Salad
Inspired by JustOneCookbook
- Sweet potato (about 500g), cooked till very soft
- 2 small hardboiled eggs
- 1/2 cucumber, cubed
- 8 tbspn Japanese Kewpie mayo
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Steam or microwave the sweet potato until cooked. Let it cool and mash it together with the eggs until even, but not mushy. I like to keep a bit of chunky texture.
2. Season to taste with the mayo, salt, freshly grinded black pepper, and lemon juice.
3. Keep chill in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours.
4. Just before serving, top with chilled, cubed cucumbers.