I thought it would be fun to feature some side dishes and/or appetisers as a series. This is a simple and tasty appetizer that I often make. The taste is sourish savoury, with a light spicy kick. Use iceberg lettuce to give it that crunch and extra juiciness.
This can also be made into a light sandwich lunch using the bread of your choice.
Best served chilled.
Sardines in Lettuce Boats
- 1 can (425g) of sardines in tomato sauce (I use Ayam brand)
- 7 small calamansi, juice only
- 1.5 tbspn tom yum paste
- 1 cup of chopped mint leves
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 4 tbspn japanese mayo (kewpie) or normal mayo
- Sugar to taste
- Small lettuce cups
1. Mash the sardines with the tomato gravy.
2. Add in all the seasonings and mix well. Chill in the fridge for about 1-2 hours.
3. Scoop a tspn onto each lettuce cup and pop into your mouth!
Note: For a different presentation, you can also serve this on thick cucumber slices. Don't like sardine? Just sub it with tuna, tastes just as good.