This juice has all the nutrients necessary for maintaining good eyesight. It includes many of the superfoods that are rich in essential nutrients for the eyes such as :
1. Carrots (high in Vitamin A and beta-carotene) - helps in maintaining the conditions of the surface lining of the eyes
2. Goji berries and purple cabbage (high in lutein, anthocyanins, antioxidant carotenoids and flavenoids) - protect against macular degeneration, cataracts and reduce blind spots
3. Kiwi fruit and oranges (high in Vitamin C) - important in helping to strengthen the structure of the cornea and capillaries, and aids in fighting cataracts
I try to make it a habit to toss in some goji berries in my juices or even when i stir fry vegetables; to make it a regular part of our diet. Do you know that the leaves of the goji berries are also very rich in eye-related nutrients? Look out for my next post, when I will write on how to cook a really easy soup using goji berry leaves. It is a yummy soup that even my son likes, and it takes a very short time to prepare.
Again, I use my Ladyship super blender to make this. I loaded up the ingredients to the max so I could prepare 4 large servings at one go. If you are using a conventional blender or a juicer, you would probably need to reduce the quantity by half or do it in 2-3 batches.
|A good handful of goji berries|
Boost for Your Eyes
- 2 ripened kiwi fruits, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 pieces of purple cabbage leaves, rinsed
- 2 oranges, peeled, quartered
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut into slices
- A good handful of goji berries, rinsed
- 2 -3 cups of chilled boiled water
- 1-2 tbspn of brown sugar
1. Fit the filter mesh into the jug. Position a smaller jug at the spout to catch the juice.
2. Add all the ingredients into the blender and pulse for 3 - 4 times. Then whiz continuously for 10 - 15 seconds and turn on the tap to let the juices flow out.
3. Serve immediately or with some additional ice cubes.
This should be consumed immediately or within the next half hour (in which case keep it chilled in the fridge).