After seeing Mich's mouth watering tamarind prawns post, I was very eager to try, using some spare ribs I had in the freezer.
I also had some leftover aromatics which i thought would be suitable to amp up the flavour, so i added them in. It turned out to be very appetizing, perfect to go with some hot steam rice. My son kept asking for more, to eat with his fingers!
Tamarind and Lemongrass Ribs
- 360g pork ribs (can substitute with beef ribs, but cooking time will be slightly longer)
- 4 tspn tamarind paste
- 1/2 tsp grated galangal
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 lemongrass, white part only, chopped
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 5 tsp sugar
- Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Marinade the pork with all the above (except the sugar, salt and pepper) for about 2 hours.
2. Pour 1 cup of water into a non stick pan and bring to a boil.
3. Add in the ribs and the marinade, bring to a boil and simmer for about 45 min until the meat is tender.
4. Add the sugar and coat well, simmer for another 5 min with the cover off to thicken the sauce.
5. Adjust the taste and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Serve with steam rice.