Pages

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Easy Western : Post #1 - Beef Stroganoff

Pin It




Hi folks, for the next few posts, I will be sharing some of my favourite, super easy Western recipes.  Some are tried and tested oldies that I have been cooking for years, whilst the others are some new recipes that I discovered of late.  I am sure you are familiar with some of them, and may have cooked them before.  Well, here's my version, and I hope you like them :)



There are certain foods that always remind me of my days in Australia, such as Vietnamese pho, lamb moussaka and souvlaki, fish and chips, apple pie, chicken and avocado sandwich, apricot chicken, beef stroganoff and many more. 


My first taste of these foods were not at some cafes or aussie pubs, but mostly at the homes of families who had kindly offered warm hospitality to homesick overseas students like me then :) Beef stroganoff was one of my favourite "foreign" food - somehow this hearty stew with a wonderful aroma of thyme never fails to warm my heart (right down to my toes in the winter months!).  It is totally one of my aussie comfort food :)




There are several variations to this Russian originated dish - mainly in terms of what makes the base for the gravy.  You will find some recipes that call for tomato puree; some use cream of mushroom soup, and the rest stick to good old beef broth.  I am all for the moo.

A trick I learned from my aussie friends is to tenderise the meat using, no, not baking soda, but kiwifruit.  Yup, fruits such as kiwi, pineapple and papaya (aussies call em Paw Paw) have enzymes called bromelin, which works to break down the tissue muscles of the meat, thus rendering it more tender.

Get yourself a nice green kiwifrult - it doesn't have to be ripe.  Chop it up and mix it with the beef for a short while.  I guarantee you will have a pot of deliciously tender beef stew in under half an hour using a normal pot.  Forget about hours of simmering or using a slowcooker or even my favourite cook-em-quick artillery - the pressure cooker. 


Beef Stroganoff
Serves 4



1.  Slice the beef across the grain into bite size thin slices (tip: freeze the meat until it is semi frozen - it is much easier to slice the semi hardened meat into thin slices than when it is at chill or room temperature).  Let it come to room temperature, drain off any bloody residue.  Roughly chop up a kiwifruit and mix it with the beef slices.  Cover and chill in the fridge for about 30-40min.  Do not over tenderise the meat, else it will lose its natural chewy texture and become rather mushy.  Rinse the beef slices, discard the kiwifruit pieces and pat dry the meat with kitchen towel.     

2.  Heat some oil on medium high heat and saute the onions until soft.  Add the beef and fry until brown on all sides.

3.  Pour in the water and all the seasonings (except the mushrooms, sour cream and cream cheese).  Bring to a boil, turn down the fire and let it simmer for about 20min.  Stir once or twice. 


I use my new Microstoven pot to cook this - it cooks wonderfully due to
a super efficient heat distribution coating. 


4.  Add the mushrooms and simmer till they turn opaque.  Add in the sour cream, cream cheese and stir gently till the cream have melted evenly into the sauce.  Season with rock salt and black pepper.  Turn off the fire, fish out the thyme sprigs and discard.  Serve warm with rice, pasta or crusty bread.

This will keep beautifully in the fridge for up to 3 days without any lost of flavour.  



14 comments:

  1. I love this too, just reminds me so much of staying warm in winter with a hot bowl of stew... delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really interesting tip about tenderising the meat.. unfortunately I am allergic to kiwi and papaya, maybe I can try pineapple next time! ;P I like your last photo very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yen. Yea, pineapple would work too i reckon.

      Delete
  3. Esther, very nice! It sounds delicious and it's so simple to cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it is actually very easy. Before i knew how to cook it, i thought it must be difficult and time consuming, but its on the contrary.

      Delete
  4. ya, i also learnt kiwifruit to tender the meat when i attended the Zespri cooking class..This sound simple and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think kiwi fruit is probably the most widely used fruit to tenderise meat. I hardly see other fruits being used actually.

      Delete
  5. Hi Esther,

    You stayed in Australia before? Which state? We must have tea together if you are visiting Melbourne!

    I'm still in my L plate for cooking and would love to learn from your easy Western recipes.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, i lived in Australia for 7 years, mostly between Adelaide and Sydney, but went to Melbourne alot coz i have friends and relatives there too. Yes, definitely will buzz you if i am around town. I always look out for cheap fares to Oz coz i love the place:) You in L plate?? Nah,..you are being too modest :) i love yr recipes, we all learn from each other, yes ? :)

      Delete
  6. Esther, this sounds like a good and easy one-dish meal recipe for the family. The photography is solid too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! You are right, definitely a one dish meal thats easy and tasty.

      Delete
  7. Hi Esther! Beef stroganoff is one of my favourite comfort dish. Could just eithe have it with bread or maybe a bowl of rice? Hehehe.. I love Melby too and have relatives there. While I didn't study in AU, the funny thing is I work in an Australian team from the day I graduated. We should meet up? How does that sound? I'm in KL btw. So glad you came over my blog and give me a holler. Stay in touch. Cheers, Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, thanks for dropping by. Would be great to meet up one day. So many Malaysians in Oz..haha. Hv a good weekend!

      Delete

Feel free to leave your comments here. If you are not a blogger, just select profile and choose "Name/URL", fill in your name and leave the URL blank. Thanks and hope you enjoy the postings here, or better still, get to try some new recipes from here. Cheers!