Never in my whole life have i ever managed to get such cheap and fresh strawberries - so happy! Tesco had a (re)opening promotion for these Cameronian beauties - at RM1 per punnet...an absolute steal.
Perfect to make that strawberry jam I have been thinking about for quite a while.
|These are all going into the pot - now that's what i call REAL jam :)|
|Medium size and just semi sweet - but absolutely fresh. |
That's the most important.
Homemade Strawberry Jam
- 650g strawberries, rinsed and hulled
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 140g sugar
There is no need to buy articificial pectin. The natural pectin in the fruit will help to set the jam. It won't be as jellified as the commercially made ones, but that's what i like about homemade jam. It comes in a sticky thick slushy blob, instead of jellified chunks.
1. Mash or roughly chopped up the strawberries and put into a heavy based stainless steel pot. Bring to a slow boil and keep simmering on the lowest heat.
2. Add in the lemon zest and juice, keep stirring frequently to prevent the bottom from burning.
3. After about 20-30min, add in the sugar. The mixture would turn an even deeper, rich and glossy hue. Beautiful!
|Before adding sugar...|
|After adding sugar...|
4. Continue to stir and simmer for another 10min, the thickness should be just about right by now (it will continue to thicken as it cools). Remove from heat and let it cool a bit before pouring into clean jars. Better to pour into several smal jars so you can just open one to consume without contaminating the rest. This will last for up to 3 months. Without any perservatives.