Pages

Friday 28 June 2013

Back to Basics Part II: Post #4 - Steamed Tofu with Minced Pork

Pin It




Boy, time flies when you are busy. And boy, was I crazy busy these last two weeks; and before I knew it, i'd fallen way behind in my posting!


This is the longest "hiatus" I've been on.  The last fortnight was a sweat inducing time of supervising some renovations to our house, and the inescapable chores of mopping the floor and dusting the shelves.  And then we had to cope with the dreaded haze!  Thankfully things have returned to normal now and I could sit down and post this last part of our Back-to-Basics Part II.

I love to order this dish whenever we eat out, because it is just so homey and comforting.  It is also easy to make for home meals.  It is almost like yeong tau foo, except the tofu is silken tofu; and you can steam it in the rice cooker when the rice is 3/4 cooked.  

I like to use pork mince, but it is just as good with chicken mince or fish paste.  


Steamed Tofu with Minced Pork
  • 150g minced pork
  • 1 roll of silken tofu
  • 1 tbspn of chopped carrots
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbspn oyster sauce
  • 1 tsp chinese cooking wine
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • Salt and pepper
  • chopped coriander for garnishing

1.  Mix all the seasonings (except oyster sauce) into the mince meat and mix well. 

2.  Cut the silken tofu into sections, scoop out a shallow piece of the centre part and top with half a tbspn each of the mince meat mixture. 

I like to use this brand of silken tofu for this dish

3.  Steam in either a wok with boiling water for 10min on high heat or in the rice cooker when the rice is 3/4 cooked.  Leave it in the rice cooker for another 8 min after the Cook button has popped up. 

4. Remove from the rice cooker and drizzle the oyster sauce on top (diluted with 1 tbspn of cooled boiled water).  Serve with steam rice.






7 comments:

  1. Esther, this looks so good. I love to figure out how to make my favorite take out food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther , that is one scrumptious dish ! I love tofu and minced pork combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one simple, healthy and tasty dish. I make this occasionally too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great and lovely dish!!! I will like to try silken tofu next time :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Esther, love this simple and pretty looking tofu dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dish too, my mum used to cook it for me a lot. But we always use the Japanese tofu. Shd try this again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esther,
    I have miss some episode of your back to basic. Must go check them out one by one.

    This is a comforting abs yummy dish.
    mui

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments here. If you are not a blogger, just select profile and choose "Name/URL", fill in your name and leave the URL blank. Thanks and hope you enjoy the postings here, or better still, get to try some new recipes from here. Cheers!