Pages

Monday 10 June 2013

Back-to-Basics Part II: Post #1 - Steamed Mince Pork with Salted Fish




Last year I did a series on Back-to-Basics; ie dishes that harked back to our childhood; super simple and easy dishes that can be whipped up in a short time for dinner. 

Responses to this series was very encouraging - I received a lot of comments from readers to post more of such dishes.  So here's Part II, starting with this Minced Pork with Salted Fish. 


Last week I was longing for a good minced pork with salted fish - and asked hubby to ta-pau (take-away) this dish from one of the neighbourhood restaurant. 

Hubby came back with something that looked like it's been stepped all over, throwned against the wall with force and then flooded in oil.  Yeah, it was THAT bad.  The minced pork was mostly fatty bits and the salted fish tasted off.  Not only that, it also tasted as if the cook had poured half an entire bottle of cooking wine into the thing.  To say I was totally put-off was an understatement.

Guess there's no other way than to make your own.

Here's my version.  I'm sure many of you already has your own version.



Steamed Mince Pork with Salted Fish
Serves 3-4

  • 250g minced lean pork
  • 1 tbspn finely chopped, good quality salted fish
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp minced ginger
  • 1 tsp chinese cooking wine
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • Dash of soy sauce and pepper
  • Dash of sugar

1.  Put the minced pork into a chopper and blitz it for a few seconds.  I normally do this extra step to mince the pork extra fine as I find the ones I buy straight from the supermarket or even wet market are too knobbly and not pastey enough.  This step is totally optional.  Feel free to use the meat in its original texture as bought. 

2.  Heat the sesame oil and gently fry the minced garlic and ginger until slightly golden.  Pour into the minced pork.

3.  Add the rest of the seasoning and mix well.

4.  Spread onto a thin heatproof dish and steam in boiling water for about 10min.  Serve hot.  I normally pop this into my rice cooker when the rice is 3/4 cooked.  Kill two birds with one stone.

Do you see the blur image of a piece of lemon behind the spoons?
Sometimes I like to squeeze some lemon on the minced pork
- it adds a very aromatic and appetizing zing to the dish.  Try it!




9 comments:

  1. This is definitely a comfort food at home! Grew up eating this and brings back many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comJune 10, 2013 1:38 pm

    Simple and yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther, I love simple and comforting dishes like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this is my favourite. With just only this dish, I always go for second bowl of rice. And, what a nice presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been quiet sometime since I've had that dish ! Simple yet absolutely delish :) Lovely presentation !

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think more or less the same we cook this homely tasty dish..oh, the lemon..will try that if i have lemons in the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good old comfort food! Looks so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of my childhood. I like to mix it with my rice and gobble it down together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had this Esther but I love all the ingredients so I know it would be a hit! Love your presentation, so pretty and that splash of lemon juice sounds like the crowning glory!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments here. If you are not a blogger, just select profile and choose "Name/URL", fill in your name and leave the URL blank. Thanks and hope you enjoy the postings here, or better still, get to try some new recipes from here. Cheers!