You must be thinking - not another banana pancake recipe again!
I was mighty pleased that I finally found a good and simple recipe to make fluffy pancakes that I told myself I just HAD to blog and document this one down.
So what's the secret ingredient/method for fluffy pancakes?
Let me tell you there are TWO. One is buttermilk - no surprises here. The other is egg separation. Yep, beat the yolk first, then whip in the whites. Buttermilk and egg separation equals the best fluffy pancakes :))
I have also simplified the method. Everything in one bowl. Make em big - big pancakes. Therefore less cooking and less washing.
Fluffy Banana Pancakes
Makes 3-4 large pancakes, about 15cm in diameter
- 3-4 large, fully ripened bananas, roughly mashed + 2 bananas - sliced
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 1 tbspn lemon juice
- 1 cup self raising flour, sifted
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tbspn castor sugar
- pinch of cinnamon
- Butter for frying
- Honey / maple syrup
1. Add the lemon juice into the milk, stir and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
2. Pour the semi curdled milk into a large mixing jug (for ease of pouring into the frying pan later) and add in the flour, egg yolk, sugar, mashed banana and cinnamon.
3. Using a whisk, stir to combine well. Whip in the egg white and give it just a few more stirs. Do not overstir or beat. The batter should be lumpy but evenly mixed.
4. Melt some butter over a heated non stick pan. Pour some batter in and cook on semi low fire until you see the sides starting to sizzle and bubbles are popping out from the centre. Gently flip over and cook for another 30seconds. Serve warm with sliced bananas and some honey.