Ever since I discovered (or is it re-discovered!) the yumminess (pardon the lame English!) of adding a combination of herbs to my cooking, I have been on a herbs high!
This herbs addiction started when I made my shocking green chicken rice dipping sauce. The amount of chicken rice my family could polished off just with this dipping sauce is - unthinkable. That got me started on adding lots of different herbs in other dishes.
Since we love the thai dish of Chicken Stir Fry with Basil, I thought it might be even better with some additional herbs. I experimented with mint and curry leaves. It turned out absolutely delicious and intoxicatingly fragrant. Hubby and I ate so much steam rice just with this dish. Even my son, who is not a fan of anything with thai fish sauce, gave this a "it's not bad" verdict! :)
|Mint, Thai basil, curry leaves|
Stir Fry Chicken with Fresh Herbs
- 1 large chicken leg, skin off, cut into chunks
- A good handful of mint leaves
- A good handful of thai basil
- A smaller handful of curry leaves (as the fragrant and flavour of the curry leaves are more pungent than the mint and basil)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbspn oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbspn soy sauce
- Dash of fish sauce
- Quick drizzle of dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
1. Rnse the herbs, drain thoroughly and chop them up roughly.
2. Heat some oil and fry the garlic until golden. Toss in the chicken pieces and fry until it loses the pinkish hue.
3. Add in all the seasonings and 3 tbspn of water. Toss until the chicken is coated evenly with the sauce. Cover and simmer for about 10min until well cooked. Adjust the taste. Toss in the chopped herbs and stir well to coat the chicken. Serve immediately with hot steam rice.
Many apologies for the terrible plating, or the lack of it! The photos were hastily taken admist hungry growling tummies :P