A few weeks ago I was craving for banana chocolate cakes. Yeah, not just banana cakes or chocolate cakes. It HAS to be a banana chocolate cake.
HUH! where to find? On hindsight, I could have just bought a small banana cake from the shop, and spread some nuttela or my Homemade Chocolate Sauce on top, and it would probably have sufficed, and life would go on.
Unfortunately, such a simple and straightforward solution eluded me at that point in time. Instead, I decided to google for some easy recipes to make my own banana chocolate cake, since I already have some ripened bananas and homemade chocolate sauce on hand.
I chanced upon Sonia's Steamed Caramel Banana Cake and Lena's Kuih Bingka using cream corn, and couldn't decide which recipe I liked best. So, I decided to mix and match both recipes in a mad scientist moment, and it became this version of Kuih Bingka.
I must say I was quite pleased with it :P It was moist and dense, just as how a Kuih Bingka should be. Nowhere near spongy as Sonia's cake. The banana flavour was very distinct, and the chocolate sauce still oozing in tiny pockets throughout the cake. This is a very easy recipe - I basically chuck everything into the blender and steam. It makes a nice, smallish portion, just sufficient for a small family and a little extra to give away.
Banana and Chocolate Kuih Bingka
Adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover and Frozen Wings
- 230g all purpose flour
- 250g mashed bananas
- 15g melted butter
- 120g castor sugar
- 3 large eggs, cold from the fridge
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 200g chocolate sauce (homemade or storebought)
- 50g chopped walnuts
1. Line a 9x9" baking pan, and prepare your steamer.
2. Put all the ingredients (except the chocolate sauce and nuts) into a blender and blend until well mixed.
3. Pour into the pan, and swirl in the chocolate sauce and chopped nuts. Steam over boiling water in medium heat for 30min. Remove and let it cool before cutting.