Pages

Monday 15 April 2013

Japanese Rolled Omelet - Tamagoyaki

Pin It




Rolled omelet (Tamagoyaki) sushi is one of my son's all time favourite Japanese food.  Tamagoyaki takes on a slightly sweet flavour due to the addition of sugar.



During the recent school holidays, I thought it would be fun to make some home-made sushi with my son.  I also took the opportunity to learn to make tamagoyaki.  As usual, I turned to Nami's wonderful blog to learn it.




Japanese Rolled Omelet - Tamagoyaki
Source: Just One Cookbook, with minor modifications


As I don't often cook Japanese food at home, I decided to save some money and substitute some of the Japanese ingredients with Chinese ingredients where appropriate. 

  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 tbspn white sugar
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp chinese cooking wine (originally sake)
  • 1 tsp white vinegar
  • 4 tbspn water
  • 1/2 tsp chicken stock powder (originally dashi stock powder)

1.  Mix all the seasonings with the beaten egg.

2.  Pour a drop of oil onto a flat non stick pan (preferably a square pan), use a piece of kitchen towel to dab the oil around, and pour a thin stream of egg mixture to make a thin layer of omelet.  When it is almost set, use a pair of wooden chopsticks to roll it over to one side.

3.  Pour some egg mixture on the other side of the pan and repeat Step 2.  When the egg layer is almost set, roll the cooked side to join the first roll and roll it all up.  Repeat this until all the egg mixture is used up, and a thick roll of omelet is formed.  




You can refer to Nami's post for a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this.

4.  Let the omelet cool down a little.  Place the omelet on a bamboo sheet, wrap it and gently compress the omelet into shape.  Cut into chunks and chill for at least one hour before serving.  


My tamagoyaki is no where near as pretty as Nami's but I shall persevere!


I like to serve this as part of a simple Japanese meal comprising Miso Soup, Japanese Salted Salmon, Japanese cucumber salad (recipe to follow) and either steam rice or porridge.


16 comments:

  1. Esther, even though I love eggs, somehow I am not too fond of this Japanese omelette. Maybe the one prepared at the restaurant is not done properly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PH, it took me a while to get round to the flavour of this omelet too, at first i found it really weird - sweet omelet?! But now i quite like it :)

      Delete
  2. Your Japanese meal looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Esther, i am really glad that you shared this, now i know how this is done :) Looks pretty good to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adeline, i'm glad i finally learned to make this !

      Delete
  4. Hi Esther, what a healthy and delicious Japanese meal. My kind of food! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Sounds a little tricky and finicky to make though..... But a fun process nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, finicky is the word, but after a while you get the hang of it :)

      Delete
  6. Esther , I've been meaning to make some Japanese dishes for quiet sometime but so far haven't got around on making even one dish :P The last time I've made sushi was years ago ! Making that rolled omelet seems a bit tricky and time-consuming but it looks pretty tasty :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, yea the first couple of tries took a bit more time but its worth it if you enjoy tamagoyaki.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful job Esther! Your tamagoyaki is rolled very nicely. I really like your Japanese meal. :) If you go to Japanese inn in Japan, that whole meal is a very typical breakfast set - yours look so perfect! I wish I can have this for tomorrow's breakfast!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nami, my tamagoyaki is no where near as well rolled and pretty as yours, but i will keep trying :) thanks for this lovely recipe!

      Delete
  8. very clever! i can see all the layers being rolled up very nicely !

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments here. If you are not a blogger, just select profile and choose "Name/URL", fill in your name and leave the URL blank. Thanks and hope you enjoy the postings here, or better still, get to try some new recipes from here. Cheers!