Pages

Friday 19 April 2013

Avocado Back-to-Back: Creamy Avocado Pasta

Pin It




 It's strange, but I think that a perfectly ripened avocado, cut into half to reveal its creamy yellow flesh, is a most beautiful sight to behold.  





Just like how a picture perfect view of a beautiful lake in New Zealand makes you marvel at the beauty of creation and nature, that's the same thought I have of a piece of beautifully ripened avocado.



Needless to say, i love eating all things avocado.  From guacamole to chicken and avocado sandwich to avocado sushi to this - my latest avocado obsession - Creamy (oh so unbelievably creamy!) Avocado Pasta.  It takes no time to make, and satisfies both my cravings for avocado and cream based pasta, all without the calorie ridden guilt :p

The basic recipe is super simple - it's just a blending of avocado, garlic and lemon juice; I played around with a few variations until i decided this is my favourite combination.  This is especially good with leftover plain pasta, when you want something tasty yet quick and easy to make.  




If the avocado is at that perfectly ripened stage, you can easily peel off the thin layer of green peel, leaving the first layer of still-green flesh. This is supposedly the most nutrient-dense layer in the entire fruit, which sadly, most of us never touched because we just scoop the inner creamy flesh with a spoon and then discard this precious bit due to igorance.

Now you know ya :)


I normally go for Australian Hass avocadoes, they are the best in terms of flavour - that balance of creaminess and nuttiness.  And they generally ripened evenly, unlike the African variety (which Giant almost always sells) which tends to ripen unevenly and has a tart, bitter aftertaste.  However, once in a while you will get a good batch, like the ones above that my cell member bought for me for only 99cents from Giant. 


Creamy Avocado Pasta
Serves 3

  • 1 ripened avocado, pitted and peeled
  • 3 cups of cooked pasta
  • 2 sticks of cooked sausage (in this instance I use chicken and cheese sausage, but just about any flavour will do.  Smoked sausages, ham or bacon are also good)
  • 1 tbspn normal mayo or Kewpie mayo
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 medium size tomato
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Our quickie lunch, made in a flash. 
Top: Kewpie mayo, bottled lemon juice
Middle: Cold cooked pasta, avocado
Bottom: Nutriplus Cheese Chicken Sausages
(not that good, I discovered,
the best is still Ayam Brand Premium Sausages)


1.   Warm up the pasta if it was cooked overnight.  Slice the cooked sausages and dice the tomato.

2.  Put the avocado, garlic, lemon juice and mayo into a blender and whizz for a few seconds until smooth and evenly mixed.


I love my Philips mini blender, which also comes with a wet and dry mill.
If you have a small family like mine, this is a perfect kitchen companion.
I use it to blend most of my sauces, juices and other dry spices. 

3.  Add the sauce with the pasta and toss until evenly coated.  Adjust the taste with salt and freshly grounded black pepper.  If it is too dry, add two tsp of warm water or milk.  Top with sliced sausages and tomato cubes.  Serve immediately.





If you like it nutty, feel free to add in some chopped walnuts or pine nuts. 

Got leftover sauce?  Don't discard, it makes a great sandwich dressing with roast chicken, burger or ham and cheese.  





Here's what I had for lunch the next day with the sauce. 


Bought some roast chicken drumsticks from the supermarket,
shredded it, add a dash of paprika, BBQ sauce; slather on the avocado dressing,
some sliced tomatoes and lettuce.  Sandwiched between two
slices of my favourite Massimo bread.
Very satisfying :)  



18 comments:

  1. Yum! I must go avocado hunting this weekend, Esther! The pasta looks good and that creamy avocado sauce looks so inviting, like ice-cream hah! hah! Love that sandwich too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PH, now that you've pointed it out, it does look like icrecream doesnt it? Soft serve ice cream, which doesnt melt !

      Delete
  2. I'm not a fan of avocado, find it too 'filling' but I like your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheah, yea the creaminess of the avocado makes one feel quite full, but the heaviness goes away pretty quickly, unlike real cream. Thanks for liking the pictures :)

      Delete
  3. Avocado's really pretty , isn't it ? The flesh not the outside :D But for the life of me , I don't like it *sigh* Imagine making avocado ice cream ? Still , your pasta looks wonderful and I'm sure to the avocado lovers , it taste scrumptious lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, avocado icecream....hmmm now thats an interesting thought hahaha! I am going to google this and see if anything interesting comes up!

      Delete
  4. Love this avocado cream pasta. Will try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not really good at appreciating avocados but looking at your pasta, is making me have second thoughts. Maybe i am missing out something, maybe i should give this an attempt someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adeline, it took me a while to get round to the taste of avocado too. My mum shivers whenever i ask if she would like some LOL!

      Delete
  6. very quick and yummy pasta, Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esther, your pasta looks wonderful! I'm with you I think avocados are gorgeous and even though I'm working for the California Avocado Commission and have gone through a zillion avocados in the past few months, I still LOVE them! Thanks for a lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, i am sure you have tons of fabulous avocado recipes since you are with the commission, how cool!

      Delete
  8. Esther- so inspiring!! Am so going to try this next week! Tmr i shall attempt ur salted salmon fried rice..:). Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia! Hope you and chris will like this. The salted salmon - not so sure about chris LOL!

      Delete
  9. oh so this is avocado week! I like avocado too but sometimes i bought those that refused to ripe :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Esther,
    I love your avocado sauce.
    I see it is really good eating with pasta or as a sandwich dressing. Simply delish!
    mui

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments here. If you are not a blogger, just select profile and choose "Name/URL", fill in your name and leave the URL blank. Thanks and hope you enjoy the postings here, or better still, get to try some new recipes from here. Cheers!