When I first saw this recipe, I was a little skeptical. Rosemary in a drink??..but i went ahead and try it anyway, since there were lots of positive reviews.
Now it is one of my favourite drinks :) So easy to make, so fragrant and comforting. It is great as a chilled drink, but I like it best as a warm nightcap; the fragrance of rosemary infused with a tangy lemon zing - totally soothe the frayed nerves at the end of a long day.
Adapted from Learning and Yearning
- 2 C water
- 1 C brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 long sprig of rosemary
- 1 lemon, juiced, discard the seeds
- 500ml room temperature or chilled water
1. Bring the water to a boil and add in the sugar and honey. Stir until melted, keep the mixture at a gentle simmer.
2. Add the sprig of rosemary, cover and let it continue to simmer for about 3 minutes. Turn off the fire and let the mixture steep for about 1 hour.
3. Remove cover and let it cool down.
4. Once it has cooled, add in the lemon juice and water and adjust the taste. Let it chill in the fridge for about 3 hours before serving. This is also good as a warm night cap - I find it works better than chamomile!