Pages

Friday 11 January 2013

Thirst Quenchers : Post #2 - Rosemary Lemonade




When I first saw this recipe, I was a little skeptical.  Rosemary in a drink??..but i went ahead and try it anyway, since there were lots of positive reviews.  




Now it is one of my favourite drinks :) So easy to make, so fragrant and comforting.  It is great as a chilled drink, but I like it best as a warm nightcap; the fragrance of rosemary infused with a tangy lemon zing - totally soothe the frayed nerves at the end of a long day.




Rosemary Lemonade
Adapted from Learning and Yearning

  • 2 C water
  • 1 C brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1 long sprig of rosemary
  • 1 lemon, juiced, discard the seeds
  • 500ml room temperature or chilled water


1. Bring the water to a boil and add in the sugar and honey.  Stir until melted, keep the mixture at a gentle simmer. 


2.  Add the sprig of rosemary, cover and let it continue to simmer for about 3 minutes.  Turn off the fire and let the mixture steep for about 1 hour. 

3. Remove cover and let it cool down. 

4. Once it has cooled, add in the lemon juice and water and adjust the taste.  Let it chill in the fridge for about 3 hours before serving.  This is also good as a warm night cap - I find it works better than chamomile! 




 

 



 

 
 



 

 
 



 
 
  

 

23 comments:

  1. A very refreshing drink....I loves citrus and I never thought of having rosemary as part of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would enjoy this because I love rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have herbs in my garden (so I always have to buy), but my next door neighbor has rosemary bushes in front of their front yard that I was told I can get any time. So happy it requires rosemary (not other herbs haha). I can make this like right now (or it's actually night time so maybe tomorrow!). I can see aroma is pretty refreshing. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a nice neighbour you have, i dont have green fingers so i always envy those whose plants are thriving :p

      Delete
  4. Esther, really? I find the smell of rosemary quiet strong and it seems strange to me that it blends well with this lemonade. But I believe you! I love lemonade and I will try infusing rosemary in it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, my initial thoughts exactly! Strange combo, but PH, it will surprise you, like it did to me :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Esther, thanks for sharing this lovely combination. There are some lemons left in my fridge. Must clear them soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy, yes, do try it, i think you will like it,

      Delete
  6. That sounds really interesting!! I shall give it a go whenever I have leftover Rosemary! My herbs always die too quickly in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, i just could not finish my herbs on time too, so this is another way to use it. Hate to waste all these flavourful gems.

      Delete
  7. Definitely refreshing ! Simple and easy to prepare to boot ;) I have a dry cough right now but will come back next time for a glass or two of your thirst-quencher ! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, hope your cough has lessened now, maybe this drink will soothe it too, since it has honey and lemon :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Esther, another nice drink to consider making during CNY, am thinking family and friends would love these interesting drinks instead of canned ones, yeah? Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adeline, yes, definitely! Something different and much more cheaper too :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Esther,

    This is an interesting way of making lemonade or using rosemary... This will be a great cooling idea for our hot hot summer!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  10. i never had rosemary in drinks..never thought of that too ! a warm one sounds comforting and soothing to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My rosemary plant gone but I will never give up and will plant it until I success, hehehe.. Wish to try out this drink as I just curious rosemary in a drink but I think I will like this drink as all ingredients I also love it !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you Sonia! I am sure your next rosemary plant will flourish happily :) i would love to plant some herbs, but i dont have green fingers and so...have to buy :p

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments here. If you are not a blogger, just select profile and choose "Name/URL", fill in your name and leave the URL blank. Thanks and hope you enjoy the postings here, or better still, get to try some new recipes from here. Cheers!