Pages

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Stir Fry Clams with Curry Bean Paste




There are many varieties of clams out there but one of Malaysians' favourite clams is coloquially called La-la clams (cute eh!)  It is a thin shelled clam in an oblong shape, as opposed to the more commonly seen thick shelled clam in a triangular form.


I don't quite know why it's called lala.  But it is very popular and are usually steamed or stir fried with a variety of sauces. 

One of the my neighbourhood mix rice stalls whip up a mean dish of stir fried lala in curry bean paste and it's super yummy! Each time I chanced upon them, I will takeaway one serving for immediate consumption and an extra packet for dinner.

Here's the homecooked version - minus the MSG ;P


Pardon the messy plating!


Stirfry Clams with Curry Bean Paste

  • 600g lala clams (can be substituted with the thicker shell clams)
  • 4 sprigs of curry leaves
  • 3 pips garlic, minced
  • 10 slices of ginger
  • 1 heap tblspn of minced bean paste
  • 1 heap tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp chicken stock powder

1.  To prepare the clams, soak them in salty water for at least 1-2 hours.  When the shells are  slightly opened, rinse them under running water for a few minutes so that any mud trapped inside the shells will spill out.  Pour into a colander and drain.  

2.  Heat some oil and fry the garlic, ginger and curry leaves until fragrant.  Add in all the seasonings and bring to a boil.

3.  Add in the lala clams and toss briskly on high heat until all the shells have opened up.  Be careful not to overcook the clams.  Adjust the taste accordingly.  Dish up and serve immediately with steam rice.


Note:  Lala clams perish very easily.  Soak them in freshwater ie tap water, or store them straight in the fridge, and you will end up with dead clams.  If you do not intend to cook the clams immediately after buying, soak them in salty water and leave them in room temperature until time of cooking.








I also like to cook lala clams in a simple broth with loads of ginger, chinese cooking wine and glass noodles.  Delish! I will post this recipe in the near future.

22 comments:

  1. Hi Esther, looks so delicious... makes me hungry for lunch already though its not lunch time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, looking at food pictures always make us hungry way too early haha!

      Delete
  2. Hi Esther,
    I loves clams but only have once in a blue moon..... Your clams or "lala" looking very appetizing! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, unfortunately can't really have these guys too often ya! but so delicious with the gravy.

      Delete
  3. My hubby loves lala and this looks very delicious. Will cook for him one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Esther, my favourite but nowadays it's quite difficult to get fresh clams of this specie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, have to keep looking out for them. I always check whenever I go grocery shopping at the supermarket.

      Delete
  5. Hi Esther, I am not a fan of clams but I do eat them! So curry does go with bean paste, eh? I must try it so as to widen my repertoire of food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curry bean paste is totally yummy! PH, you can substitute this with prawns if you like.

      Delete
  6. Hi Esther! I love Lala... the spicy version in Tze Char Stall... Sometimes, I will boil the lala to get sweet yummy stock base for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the clams stock! That briny fishy flavour - totally yummy!

      Delete
  7. Love this! We always order la la if we see it on any dai chow menu too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy, my family and I love them! Makes you want to go fa la la la la la la la la... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never miss ordering lala if it is on a menu. I eat so much lala, no wonder I am always in lala land. hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farnie la you veron :) You have a happy disposition., that's a good thing.

      Delete
  10. Hi Esther,
    I love Lala but never attempt to cook it myself.
    Thanks for sharing this lovely Lala dish.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice recipe! I think my children will like this kind of dish. By the way, I saw a good site about stir fry recipe, you can Know them all here!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments here. If you are not a blogger, just select profile and choose "Name/URL", fill in your name and leave the URL blank. Thanks and hope you enjoy the postings here, or better still, get to try some new recipes from here. Cheers!