This is a no-frills, comfy cake that's perfect for a lazy afternoon tea, as a simple dessert or to bring to an informal gathering of friends or family. Totally understated.
It doesn't have a wow factor that will bowl over your guests, rather, it is a light and zesty cake that is a nice change from all those heavy, cream based and cloying desserts.
It is also quite healthy and very easy to make. The aroma of baked lemony cake that will waft through your house is absolutely delightful.
Lemon Yogurt Cake
Source : Mel's Kitchen Cafe, with minor adjustments
1 1/2 C all purpose flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
3/4 C castor sugar
1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
2 large eggs , lightly beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
50ml vegetable oil
1 C regular yogurt, storebought or homemade
D - the glaze
1/4 C fresh lemon juice
2 tbspn sugar
1. In bowl 1, mix A and stir evenly.
2. In bowl 2, rub together B until sugar is moist.
3. Preheat oven at 170celcius, and grease a 25x14cm pan.
4. In bowl 3, mix C together. Fold into bowl 1 until just combined. The batter should still be lumpy.
5. Pour into the pan and bake for about 20min, or until the skewer comes out clean.
6. While the cake is baking, combine the glaze ingredients and heat until the sugar melts. Test for desired sweetness. Let it cool completely.
7. When the cake is done, remove from the oven and onto a cooling rack for about 10 min before removing from the pan. Poke holes over the top of the bread using a toothpick (about halfway through will do) and gently pour the glaze over the top of the cake, letting the syrup soak into the cake. Let it cool completely before cutting.
|Place a plate underneath the cake as you pour the glaze to catch any drip|
|Notice how the glaze has soaked through - ooohh|