Combat the haze with this cooling and detoxifying drink. It's cheap, easily available and is ready to drink within 1 hour.
These four humble herbs are widely available in our country and each has many medicinal and therapeutic properties. Lemongrass has high antioxidants and folic acid, and is known for its detoxifying benefits. The pandan plant is considered a diuretic and a great pain reliever for headaches. It is also used as a gentle laxative especially for children. Ginger expels wind, has strong anti-inflammatory properties and is considered a natural remedy for heartburn. Mint has long been known for its abilities to sooth the digestive tract and reduces the severity of stomach aches.
The combination of these four herbs makes an wonderful fragrant drink. It can be consumed warm as a soothing night-cap, or chilled in the fridge for an instantly refreshing pick-me-up. I always make extra for the day's consumption and another jug in the fridge for the next day.
Lemongrass, Pandan, Ginger and Mint Cooler
- 1 medium bunch of pandan leaves, about 10 leaves
- 4 stalks of lemongrass, trimmed off the top, leaving about 5 inches from the white bottom part
- A knob of young ginger, about 3 inches, peeled and smashed
- 4 sprigs of mint leaves
- 60g of rock sugar
- 2 litre of water
1. Divide the pandan leaves into 5 leaves each and tie into a loose knot
2. Using the back of a knife, flatten the white part of the lemongrass
3. Bring the water to a boil, add in the pandan leaves, lemon grass and ginger. Turn down the fire and let simmer for about 15min, then add the rock sugar to taste. Once the sugar has dissolved, switch off the fire and let it steep for 30minutes.
4. Strain and pour into a large glass jug and leave it under the fan to cool. Tear the mint leaves and add into the jug. Give it a stir to release the fragrant oils and serve warm or with ice or keep chilled in the fridge.