These days we watched Korean dramas and dine on Korean banchan and steaming bowls of kimchi stews. We learned a smattering of Korean sentences and buy kimchi instant noodles from our supermarkets.
Long before I got hooked on Korean dramas, some of my best Uni mates were Korean. One of my best friend is Korean and she lives in Seoul. Our current cell group comprises 2 Korean families and the ladies are wonderful cooks. When it's the turn of our Korean friends to host the cell meeting, we are always treated to some super duper yummy homecooked Korean food.
One of the simple Korean dishes I learned is this basic and meatfree kimchi fried rice. With this recipe, you can amp it up with the meat of your choice and vegetables and even an omelette to top it off. I usually don't bother as I find it already very tasty on its own.
Basic Kimchi Fried Rice
- 1.5 cups of cold cooked rice
- 1/2 cup of chopped kimchi and some juice
- 1 tsp of chopped garlic
- 2 tsp gojuchang
- Dash of sesame oil
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Crispy roasted seaweed
- Salt and sugar
- Heat some oil on a wok and fry the garlic till golden and fragrant.
- Pour in the rice, chopped kimchi, kimchi juice and gojuchang and fry till all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Add the sesame oil, sesame seeds and season with some salt and sugar.
- Lastly, top with some crispy seaweed and serve immediately.
|Needless to say, buy the best kimchi you can get. Otherwise, you can make your own.|
|My Korean friends recommended this brand - Sunchang|
|Something so simple yet so tasty.|
This recipe has also been featured on Hungrygowhere Malaysia at this link