A good friend cooked this for me during my confinement recently. It is a very simple and tasty dish, totally comforting.
My whole family, even my 7 year old son enjoys this simple dish that goes perfectly with steam rice or porridge. Wood ear fungus has anticoagulant properties, warms the body and is widely believed to be effective in lowering cholesterol.
Wood Ear Fungus Omelette
- A handful of dried wood ears, soaked in hot water for 1 hour until fully rehydrated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 slices of ginger
- 1 tsp normal cooking oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp chicken stock powder
- Pinch of white pepper and salt
- Dash of soy sauce
1. Rinse the wood ears and slice into thin strips
2. Cut the ginger into very fine strips
3. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, pepper and salt into the beaten egg. Add a splash of water to thin out the mixture a little.
4. Heat the cooking oil and fry the ginger strips until golden and crispy
5. Add the wood ear strips and fry for 1 minute, then sprinkle the chicken stock powder and toss
6. Pour in the egg mixture and let it cook for about 20seconds then scramble. The omelette should be slightly browned. Serve warm.