During my last trimester of pregnancy, I was craving for mostly meatless food. Hence my meals comprised of lots of salads, sandwiches, soups and other semi/quasi vegetarian fare.
I came across this Tofu Burger recipe from The Little Teochew. There were lots of favourable comments on the post, so I decided to give it a try. It turned out pretty good, albeit if I was to serve this to my kid, I would sub the parmesan cheese with cheddar or tasty cheese as my son turned his nose up upon smelling the strong whiff of parmeson in the burger patty :p
I realised that with this recipe, the tofu could not mask the strong flavour and smell of the parmesan, whilst a meat option would have somewhat tamed that distinct smell. Hence, I decided that this is probably an adult-choice meal and may not be a very kid-popular one.
Recipe adapted from The Little Teochew
Makes 3-4 medium size burger patties
- 2 pieces of firm tofu/taukwa
- 2 small red onions, diced finely
- A handful of chopped coriander (stalk and leaves)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, sliced finely
- Pinch of sweet paprika
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan
- Fresh or storebought breadcrumbs
- Cucumber slices
- Tomato slices
- Burger buns or bread of your choice
- Condiments of your choice
- Vegetable oil
1. Mash up the taukwa and mix with the red onions, coriander, lime leaves, seasonings, parmesan and breadcrumbs. Shape into patties.
2. Heat up some oil and gently fry the patties until golden brown and cooked through.
3. Assemble your burger and enjoy it warm.