8tv currently is screening a Taiwanese cooking show called Feng Shu's Cooking Class, which I like to watch whenever I can.
This show features easy homecook meals; one of the super easy dishes is this Coca-Cola Chicken Wings. I think this dish could easily win the title of The Ultimate Kid Friendly Food or The Ultimate Finger Licking Food - hands down.
It is super duper easy to make, but by the end of it, you will be shocked at the quantity of sugar in a can of coke! I once read somewhere that a can of coke has about 6 tablespoon of sugar. I reckon thats about right, judging from this dish!
Try it, it's a perfect one dish meal for days when you have a total blankout about what to cook yet do not want to eat out. Just this and some steam rice, or go total carb-free and eat it with a side salad.
|The sticky sugary sauce coats the wings beautifully. |
It will continue to glisten for up to one hour,
keeping the meat wonderfully moist.
Coca-Cola Chicken Wings
Recipe source: Feng Shu's Cooking Class
- 5-6 medium size chicken wings, about 450g
- 1 can of regular coca cola
- Toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbspn soy sauce
- Shichimi red chili pepper (optional)
1. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, switch off the fire and add the chicken wings to blanch for 10min. Remove and set aside.
2. Choose a non-stick pan that will fit the chicken wings snugly and the level of coca-cola will come up to about mid way of the meat to coat them.
3. Pour the can of coke into the pan and bring to a boil. Add the chicken wings and keep to medium high heat with the cover off to allow the carbonated liquid to evaporate.
4. Once the liquid has thicken, add the soy sauce and mix evenly to coat the wings. Keep an eye on the sauce, once it thickens, it will quickly becomes sticky and gooey.
5. Arrange the chicken wings onto a platter and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and shichimi pepper powder on it. Serve warm.