Good morning! It's the start of a new week. I had a good restful weekend and am looking forward to testing some new recipes this week :). I hope you have had an enjoyable weekend too.
Today's double recipe post comprised of an easy Sweet and Sour Fish Fillet dish, and a nutritious Stir Fry Spinach with Goji Berries.
Now i doubt if there are many of us who doesn't like the popular Sweet and Sour Pork dish that is commonly available at many Chinese restaurants. This perennial favourite unfortunately, uses lard as a base oil and the meat is deep fried. If the dish is cooked properly, you get a lovely serving of appetizing sweet and sour flavours, with generous chunks of meat coated in a light batter.
However, i have had on many occassions tasted half cooked, puny pieces of pork encased in a heavy, gummy, rubbery batter. Urgh!
This home-cooked version is more healthy, using fish fillet. I also did away with the deep frying, instead tossing it in a light cornflour coating.
Stir Fry Spinach with Goji Berries is a favourite in my family. It is easy to cook, cheap!, yummy and packed with nutrition - spinach being rich in iron and folate, whilst goji berries is one of the superfoods for maintaining healthy eyes. In one of my previous post, I cooked this as a broth - see here .
Sweet and Sour Fish Fillet
- 1 medium size onion, sliced
- 2 pip garlic, chopped
- 5 slices of ginger
- 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tspn sesame oil
- 1 tbspn oil
For the Sauce
- 2 tbspn tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbspn water
- 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
- Dash of soy sauce and pepper
1. Rinse the fish fillet and pat dry. Cut into bite size pieces. Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
2. Marinade the fish pieces with the cornflour, salt, pepper and sesame oil. Set aside for 10 min.
3. Heat the oil and fry the ginger slices until fragrant. Add the fish pieces and toss on high heat until just cooked. Remove and set aside.
4. Heat up some oil and fry the onion and garlic for about 2 minutes. While the onion is still crunchy, add in the tomatoes and the sauce. Stir and bring the gravy to a boil. Add in the fish pieces and coat evenly. Serve with steam rice.
Stir Fry Spinach with Goji Berries
- 250g of fresh baby spinach, cut into 3 inch length, rinsed and discard any wilted leaves
- 1/2 tblsp goji berries, rinsed
- 2 pips of garlic, minced
- 2 slices of garlic, slivered
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp chicken stock powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Heat both the oil and fry the garlic and ginger until fragrant.
2. Toss in the spinach and fry on high heat until just wilted.
3. If the veg is dry, add about 1 tblsp of water, and add the chicken stock powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the goji berries and toss for another 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tip : If you have never try stir frying your veg with goji berries, i encourage you to try with this dish. The mellowness of the spinach (the greeny taste is not as strong) goes well with the slight sweetness of the goji berries. However, take care not to overcook the berries. Just add into the stir fry and toss for no more than 3 minutes and serve. Goji berries will turn sour and tart if overcooked.