We've been having a heatwave of late. It's been scorching hot in the last two weeks, so I thought of making some cold milkshake for the kids as a treat, especially when they come back from their evening playtime in the park.
To kids, anything to do with chocolate is nice. So what could be nicer than some cold chocolate milkshake? Homemade chocolate sauce is super easy to make. I simply couldn't bring myself to pay RM20 for a bottle of Hershey chocolate sauce, so here's my RM3 equivalent of yummylicious, spoon-licking-good chocolate sauce, made from just 2 ingredients - good quality cocoa powder, and sweetened condensed milk.
Takes all of 1 minute to make.
Homemade Chocolate Sauce
Makes about 400ml
- 4 tbsp of good quality cocoa powder (I use Hershey cocoa powder)
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (I use Gold Coin brand)
|Keeping the powder in the fridge tends to make em clump up, so make sure you sift it first|
|Gold coin creamer is more diluted so no water is necessary. Other brands such as F&N is very thick so add some water to dilute it slightly.|
- Use a heavy based saucepan and pour the condensed milk into the pan.
- Heat on the lowest fire and add in the cocoa powder one tablespoon at a time, stirring gently to ensure no lumps and all the powder is evenly melted. Best is to sift the powder first or directly onto the condensed milk.
- Keep stirring to ensure the bottom does not burn. Once the cocoa powder has melted, remove from fire and pour into a clean glass jar.
|Stir briskly and evenly to ensure no clumping|
|Keep in clean glass jar for up to 1 month|
You can now use the chocolate sauce to make milkshakes, drizzle over waffles/icecream/cut fruits, or to make chocolate drinks. I've been using it to make Banana Chocolate Milkshake as an after dinner treat.
Homemade Banana Chocolate Milkshake
- Frozen banana slices
- Chocolate sauce
- Cold fresh milk
- Cold water
- Add all the ingredients into a blender and whizz until well blended and frothy. Serve immediately.
|Cut ripened bananas into slices and freeze for an instant cold milkshake|
|I stock up on Farm fresh milk whenever there is a promotion|
|Pour the preferred amount of chocolate sauce into the blender with all the other ingredients and whizz away|
|The best milkshake is made at home.|