Pages

Thursday 6 February 2014

Roast Cauliflower

Pin It




For the longest time, cauliflower has never been on my favourite vege list, until I discovered Fried Cauliflower Rice.  If you love fried rice but dread the carbs, you've GOTTA try it.  Enuf said.

Then I made my own roast cauliflower.  That sealed the deal - we're a confirmed family of cauliflower lovers.  I never knew roast cauliflower could be so yummy!  I was very glad to add this wonderful recipe onto my "Meatless Recipe Collection" :)

The good thing about this recipe is it is so flexible and forgiving.  You can basically add most of your favourite seasonings and it will still work well.  Keep it simple on its own as a light meal, or "upsize" it with a salad, turn it into a sandwich, or better still, do what I always do - make extra, and toss it with some pasta and bacon and Voila - Dinner is Aglio Olio Pasta with Bacon/Sausages and Roast Cauliflower.  How tempting is that!


Roast Cauliflower
Serve 3-4

  • Half a head of cauliflower - about 500g
  • 2 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 tbspn lemon juice
  • Handful of chopped lemon thyme
  • 2 tsp chopped garlic
  • 1/2 tsp sweet paprika powder
  • Generous dash of salt and cracked black pepper
  • Olive oil
  • Generous amount of grated cheddar or parmesan





1.  Trim the cauliflower into medium size florets.  Put a pot of water to a rolling boil, switch off the fire.  Pour the florets into the pot, covered and let it cook for about 8-10 minutes until almost cooked.  Drain thoroughly.





2.  Mix all the seasoning ingredients together in a bowl, except the cheese.  Toss in the cauliflower florets and coat evenly.  Pour into a roasting pan lined with aluminium foil.  Slow bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until the florets are golden brown and quite dried up.

Alternatively, I used my trusty AMC hotplate.  Turn it upside down and it becomes a grill/oven.  I poured the florets into a roasting flat pan, turn the Navigenio hotplate upside down to cover the pan and roast the florets.



Beautifully roasted florets with melted cheese


4.  Sprinkle the grated cheese onto the florets and continue to roast for another 10 minutes until the cheese are bubbling and turned golden.  Served immediately with a side salad.


A great salad combination - feta cheese, kalamata olives,
cherry tomatoes, Japanese cucumbers in herbed dressing


A healthy and delicious lunch - even my son enjoys it.


I made extra for dinner - toss in some angel hair pasta and cooked sausages.



Dinner couldn't be easier and tasty.

This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up organised by Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids.  This month's theme on Lemon is hosted by Grace of Life can be Simple



Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Looks great. Cauliflower is one of those delicious less appreciated foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Esther,

    Yeah... Totally agree that low carb is good. Your roast cauliflower with lemon and lemon sounds very flavorsome. An ideal food too... in the sense that it is not damaging our figures too :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummers! I love cauliflower ... strange people love strange things, you know :) (Talking about myself, of course)
    I'm off to the market to get a head for dinner tonight! You've tempted me!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments here. If you are not a blogger, just select profile and choose "Name/URL", fill in your name and leave the URL blank. Thanks and hope you enjoy the postings here, or better still, get to try some new recipes from here. Cheers!